Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fishing for American Shad or the Tailrace Tuna



Just below the dam on the South end of Lake Moultrie is a stretch of water called the tail race canal. During the late winter and early spring the American Shad make their annual migration towards the lake and boats line up on either side to have a chance at catching a few Tail Race Tuna.



The American Shad, or Alosa sapidissima, are following the route they always do as these mostly salt water fish migrate upstream in fresh water to spawn. Most fishermen are looking to catch the big female shad or the “Roe Shad”, where the egg sacs are harvested and cooked. This is considered a local delicacy. The people I have talked to say you can eat them and they aren't bad but there are tastier fish to catch. American Shad are usually targeted with ultra-light spin fishing gear or on fly fishing gear, usually a 5wt or 6wt rod. The bait of choice is a curly tailed grub or a fly called a shad dart about a size-8 or size-6. A chartreuse wooly bugger will work too as long as it is weighted down. Any color will work for shad fishing as long as it is chartreuse.




For catch and release fishermen, like myself, the thrill of the fight of these scrappy fish is pretty exciting.  Long casts up current and letting your lure or fly sink towards the bottom are usually greeted with a sharp tug and then a hard fight.  American Shad like to stay low in the water column and if you are feeling bumps on the bottom, you are doing it right.   Once the shad make their way towards the surface they tend to jump and be very acrobatic.  They will make long runs back towards the bottom, like a tuna, hence the Tailrace Tuna moniker, and will put a lot of pressure on light tackle and will test your patience. 
My trip for some Tailrace Tuna started on a bright sunny afternoon when I met my fishin buddy Adam at the landing and we launched his boat.  As we headed up the canal we chatted about what we were about to do.  Adam and I have both shad fished before but we are far from experts.   We talked about our plan of attack and motored past the rail road trestle and began to see other boats.  As we approached the spot I had fished before with some success I saw there were about fifteen other boats lined up and fishing.   Our flats skiff, an East Cape Gladesman, was a little out of place among the jon boats, bass boats, and even a big pontoon boat.    We motored around and found a spot on the left side of the canal and set up.  Tossing the anchor and letting it stick allowed the boat to swing bow into the current and gave us a pretty stable location.    I grabbed my fly rod and began to cast and Adam did the same thing with an ultra-light spin-cast outfit.   As I made my casts of the double rig of heavily weighted flies I realized they were not getting down deep enough.  I added some split shot and still not enough.  As a last resort I added a skin-tip to the end of my fly line and even with this weight the water was moving too quickly to allow my flies to sink down far enough.  Adam made a few casts and had a bite, and after a few more casts had one hooked.  I reeled in my fly line and gave up on it unless the water flow slowed down.  Adam fought the fish just as he should have, gingerly but firmly but, as sometimes happens, it came loose.  They have very thin mouths, paper thin so you have to make sure you don’t horse the Shad or your lure or fly can easily rip out of the fish’s mouth. 
He made a few more casts and we talked about politics and fishing when his rod doubled over again and he was into another fight. 





He slowly held pressure while reeling in the Shad.  I grabbed my camera and waited for the jumps and flips but this Shad was camera shy and stayed down.   After a few more minutes of fight, I grabbed the net and scooped up Adams Prize.

 
We snapped a few photos and released the fish and set back to fishing.  We traded off the spinning rod and I took a few turns casting and had a few bites but landed no fish.  We watched the Ospreys fly over and the pelicans flock over to any boat that caught a fish looking for handouts.  The boats around us were catching a few fish here and there and some were having the same luck as we were.  It was getting late and we called it a day.
The Shad fishing should be good for a couple more weeks and from the people I spoke to at the landing it has been getting better.  So if you are looking for a great way to spend an afternoon, grab a buddy or two and head up to the Tailrace canal and get into your own Tailrace Tuna!!

No comments:

Post a Comment