Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Second Annual Redfishville Shootout for HOW

As I returned firm my second tour in Iraq, I was thinking, I want to give back to my Brothers and Sisters who weren't as lucky as I was to come home physically intact.  I looked into some orgs that do that kind of thing but a friend turned me onto a program that has become a big part of my life. I was put in contact wiht one and I was asked to be the chapter coordinator for a new chapter of Heroes on the water right here in SC.   Heroes on the Water is an orginization that takes injured war vets kayak fishing. Well that is the basic premise of what we do.  Heroes on the Water helps wounded warriors relax, rehabilitate, and reintegrate through kayak fishing and the outdoors is the official verbage of what we do.  Bottom line we give there guys and girls a chance to get out, relax, catch some fish and just relax.   Meeting a vet and tlaking to him for a bit the day before and event and seeing someone who barely makes eye contact and doesn't talk much and after a day of fishing seeing his eyes sparkle, seeing a non-stop ear to ear grin, hear how excited he is and hear him say " this is the best day I have had in a LONG time", is why we do it and makes it all worth it.  Heroes on the Water is a non-profit that relies on donations to fund our events.  The Heroes pay for nothing when they attend one of our events.  We cover all thier costs and even air fare in some cases through a partnership with American Airlines.  One of the ways we raise funds for our chapters is through tournaments.  This year for the SC Chapter we are hosting our second annual Redfishville Shoot-Out.  We will be fishng the Copahee Sound again this year.  The captains meeting will be on October 8th and the fishing will be on October 9th.  This is a CPR (Catch Photo Release) tournament and we have some great prizes for our winners of the divisions.  If you enjoy fishing, especially kayak fishing check us out and come on out and fish for a great cause.   More information can be found on the HOW SC facebook page or by contacting me.

 http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/event.php?eid=142323362444473



No comments:

Post a Comment