Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recycled Fish...

I have a great group of friends... about 90% of them are fly fishermen and we all help each other out.  It's kinda what ya do when you are in the addiction like we are. 

One of my friends asked to help spread the word about  a new, well new to me,  org, called Recycled Fish.  Now I am not one to just blog and post up anything.  I have to believe in it and agree with it.  After a little research I like what these guys are doing.  I believe that anyone who fishes needs to be a steward of the environment.  We pack out what we bring in and I don’t know how many times I have returned to the landing with a kayak full of trash that people threw out.  Unless we clean up after ourselves and make sure we are not killing every fish we catch, my kids and grand-kids will be able to fly fish the marshes and creeks I fish now and be able to land those 30” redfish, Guys like me and the Recycled Fish are trying to make sure that happens.  I try, I really do, to do the green thing and leave as small a footprint I can. 

Now for some stuff from the web page…
Recycled Fish is the national non-profit organization of "anglers living a Lifestyle of Stewardship both on and off the water, because Our Lifestyle Runs Downstream."
We started out talking about Catch and Release, but it’s bigger than that now. If we want to catch more and bigger fish today and leave healthy waters for our grandkids, it takes living a Lifestyle of Stewardship both on and off the water.



On the water, we promote the S.A.F.E. Angling concept – "Sustaining Angling, Fish and Ecosystems." It’s the practices and products we can use to live as stewards when we’re on the water. It’s non-toxic and biodegradable tackle, single barbless hooks, and it’s cleaning up trash when we find it. It's not just Catch and Release, Selective Harvest is part of living as a steward on the water, too. "Limit Your Catch – Don’t Catch Your Limit!"

When Recycled Fish started back in 2004, spreading the word on Catch and Release and Selective Harvest was our primary message.
It’s bigger than that now. Today, we’re a national movement of fisherman who live a lifestyle of stewardship on and off the water.
We’re doing stuff like putting in low flow shower heads and changing how we care for our lawns, because that stuff matters to fisheries as much or more than catch and release.
Or it should be said, "Catch and Release alone won’t solve the problems facing our fisheries."
If we want more and bigger fish in our waters, now and for our kids, a lifestyle of stewardship is what it’s going to take, because our Lifestyle Runs Downstream.

So check out my friends over on www.recycledfish.org and do what ya can to help.  They donate like 30% of sales to the cause in the shop and there is a BUNCH of good looking flies, even for a salt water guy like me and really good prices!  Even if you can’t or don’t want to support Recycled Fish, just remember their catch phrase, "Limit Your Catch – Don’t Catch Your Limit!", and really think about it.   Let’s make sure these fish, from Brookies, to Steelhead to giant Redfish, are all here for us and later generations to catch! 

Tight Lines and Screamin Drags!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment