Friday, December 10, 2010

Playing with a new cannon

I have recently been handed a new Temple Fork Outfitters, Mini-Mag fly rod to play with and check out.  Wow.  Just Wow.  I have casted a lot of fly rods and this one ranks right up there with my March Brown Ltd. Rods I own , and the Sage and other TFO rods I sell at the shop.  Being an 8ft rod I was a little skeptical.  Normally those heavier 8 footers are not as good as they sound, the usual light 5wt 8 footers are perfect for the size but when you are talking about 8-10wt rods 9ft is the norm.  I took this rod out on the lawn and stripped some line off and began to cast. I started out short, 20ft casts and I could feel the rod wanting more.  I stripped out more line, another 30ft, and it still wanted more. I was amazed with the power this had.  Before I knew it I was throwing an 80ft fly line AND about 10 feet of backing through the tip top.  I could not wait to get this thing on the water.   This is a 3-piece rod and according to TFO, they have utilized their “Bluewater Technology”, a hybrid of S-Glass and high-modulus carbon fiber) to give this rod exceptional lifting power and casting ability.  I know a little about rod manufacture but I had to look all this up.  This rod has the power and backbone to handle everything from a big Large Mouth to a big ol Redfish.  They say it’ll handle Tarpon so I’ll have to get back to ya on that one.  I took this rod out yesterday and was even more impressed.  I started out throwing a heavy crab pattern and although the rod handled it and got my fly where I wanted it, it was a little clunky.  I switched to a lighter fly and this rod came to life.  A quick flip and I had a 30ft cast right where I wanted it.  My accuracy and distance was on and I really think this rod helped out.  Cast after cast this rod performed.  My arm wasn’t worn out after a day of casting and I was ready for more.  I am going to take it out in the Sweetwater and see if I can nab a few bass on it but I am pretty confident it will perform just as well there as it did in the salt.  If you get the chance, find one of these and give it a wing.  I am pretty sure you’ll be as impressed as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment