Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ghostly Tails

October is the month we all think of pumpkins, skeletons and ghosts.  Some people are scared of ghosts but they just make me angry.  I am of course talking about Redfish Ghosts.  A buddy and I spent the better part of the day Sunday paddling to all our favorite flats looking for redfish and scouting for the upcoming Redfishville Shoot-Out for Heroes on the Water this Saturday.  I finally saw my first tail of the year.  And then he ghosted.  This time of year the tailing reds usually are in full force and easy to spot, not so much in my usual haunts.  We saw the tail, stopped and watched him tail a few times.  Austin got a couple of shots at him then… gone.  Just gone.  The water wasn’t that deep, there was no wake when the fish left, no ripple, no push, nada.  There then gone.  I hate when they ghost like that on me.  We paddled and scouted for a while and we set up on the “Highway” and settled in to actually fish for a while.  Not soon after the bait was down Austin’s reel started screaming and the fight was on!

I started throwing Gulp ripple shads and the new mud minnow from Gulp and my light rod started dancing.  I grabbed it and there was a fish on.  He was headed for the grassline and he thought he was a stud but he was no match for the new Penn Battle 3000.  Have I mentioned that this reel is freakin awesome.  A smooth as silk, sealed, stop-a-truck, drag and  a braid ready spool make this the top of my “ gonna get another one of these” list.  A 14” rat red made his way to the kayak and after a quick picture he was off. 
We paddled back towards the landing as is started getting dark and threw some topwater and I threw some more Gulp ripple shads.  First cast, WHAM!  Something  hit it like a ton of bricks but only bit it in half.  No more bites and the sun was gone.  The wind laid down but the bugs came out so we called it a day.   Not a bad day of scouting, the tourney this Saturday should be awesome! 
Another day on the water with a good friend.  Ya really can;t ask for a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment